Wedding Cake

Would you ever guess this wedding cake is fake? Yup! I had to make a last minute change and made the wedding cake out of rice krispies.

I saw a story about fake wedding cakes on the Today Show a long time ago and mentioned it to Rodney and Kim. Since their wedding was outdoors in Ramona, where it can get really hot in the summer, I thought a fake cake would be a good option. So a week before the wedding, Kim asked if I could go ahead and make the fake cake for display. I made their real cake but kept it in the refrigerator until it was time to cut and serve it to the guests.

Before I covered the "faux" cake in fondant, I cut out a rice krispie wedge from the bottom tier and stuck a real red velvet cake slice (without the cream cheese frosting) in its place. I marked two lines on the fondant so Rodney and Kim would know where the real cake was at cake-cutting time.

If the rest of my cousins decide to get married in the summer, I'm definitely making them a fake wedding cake ;-) And I'll use styrofoam next time.

I decorated the cake with satin ribbon and handmade fondant pearls. The florist added the flowers.

UPDATE (2/6/09): I have a step-by-step tutorial on how I made the wedding monogram in my blog. I also have a post on how I made a fake wedding cake.

Uploaded by artofdessert